There are plenty of tricks with colour that can be used to enhance the size of rooms in a house. For instance, creamy shades and lighter blues can convert a small area into a seemingly bigger living area. It is all about optical illusion.
- Light colors make a room look bigger and brighter. Contrast it with dark flooring and your space will automatically look larger.
- Light and brightly colored walls are more reflective giving a sense of space. Paint all surfaces the same colour.
- Use the deepest tone of colour near to the floor and the lightest shade on the ceiling. This will give the illusion of space.
- Painting your wall trim/wall and door moldings in a lighter color than your walls optically makes the wall appears further back thus giving the semblance of a larger space!
- A low ceiling will appear higher if painted a lighter shade than the walls
- Large pieces of furniture will appear smaller if they are the same colour as the walls. Place them against the wall and try to use multi-functional furniture.
- If you have access to natural light, take full advantage and use sheer curtains. If the view is bad, hang potted plants!
- Artfully placed focal point mirrors can make a room look larger.